Applying TotalRoof 100% Silicone Roof Coating couldn’t be much easier.
99.9% of installs will follow the steps below:
- Clean roof surface with a power washer, preparing it to receive coating. Use a minimum of 2,000 psi of water pressure. Be sure all loose dirt and debris is removed.
- Once roof is dry, make any necessary repairs to drains, seams, flashings, and fasteners to get them in good working condition.
- Perform adhesion tests and, if necessary, apply a primer to your roof to improve coating adhesion.
- After making repairs, apply coating at the proper rate for your roof type. Use a medium nap roller to spread the coating out as evenly as possible.
- Clean all tools and equipment with mineral spirits. Do not use water.
What is the proper coverage rate for my roof?
|Substrate||Recommended Mil Thickness||Recommended Gallons/ Square||Square Feet/ Bucket||Marking Square Size|
|Granulated Cap Sheet||30||2.5||200||14’x14′|
|Metal Roof Panel||25||2||250||16’x16′|
|Smooth Surface BUR||35||3||167||13’x13′|
Using Roof Marking to control your thickness
Roof marking is a common method used to ensure you install the proper amount of coating on all areas of your roof. Basically, you create a grid on your roof, made up of 10×10 squares. Then, using the chart above, you determine how much coating you need to apply within each square. This keeps your thickness accurate and consistent.
You can use chalk, spray paint, a sharpie; anything highly visible to mark off the squares.
To complete a roof coating from start to finish, you’ll need a power washer, a leaf blower, a stiff bristled broom, a medium nap paint roller, a long handle to keep you from bending down all day, and mineral spirits.